Our community is so thankful for all the police and firefighters who gave their time and risked their lives fighting these wildfires. If you participated in these efforts we are happy to extend complementary tickets for your attendance. Please contact your Chief to make arrangements to receive tickets. We ask that you consider wearing a uniform or department shirt to the event so that those in attendance can recognize and thank you for your efforts!
In April of 2011, a series of massive wildfires burned out of control in Palo Pinto and Young Counties. During these devastating fires, over 1,500,000 acres were destroyed and more than 300 homes were burned to the ground. In response to the fires and the financial strain they put on local volunteer fire departments, a group of local property owners founded the Buckets and Boots Foundation and put together a grassroots effort to raise funds to repair and upgrade firefighting equipment.
The Buckets and Boots Foundation held an inaugural concert at the Rocker B Ranch in Graford, Texas in July of 2011 which netted approximately $450,000 for this cause. These proceeds have been awarded through a grant process to local volunteer fire departments. These grants played a key role in purchasing six new fire engines for local departments and aided in the repair of existing equipment and the purchase of new equipment. Additionally, an Emergency Relief Fund was established to proactively assist local fire departments with future fires.
During the summer of 2012, fires once again broke out in the Graford/Palo Pinto County area. Local fire departments again rose to the challenge and worked tirelessly to control the fires. Despite their valiant efforts, the massive nature of these wildfires put significant strain on the local departments. While waiting for the state to allocate additional resources, the Buckets and Boots Foundation was able to step in and make a significant and immediate impact through the use of the Emergency Relief Fund. The Foundation, in a coordinated effort with the local fire chiefs, privately hired ten bull dozers with operators who were able to cut a fire ring around the fires – enabling the local departments to control and contain the fires, thus protecting the area and saving thousands of acres and countless homes from imminent danger.
The Buckets and Boots Foundation has proven that a public/private partnership with local volunteer fire departments can make a huge impact in the firefighter’s ability to quickly contain wildfires before they reach the point of spreading out of control. Unfortunately, the 2012 fires have put a big dent in our Emergency Relief Fund and the Foundation’s ability to provide future financial assistance. With drought conditions still affecting the area and the prospect of a hot, dry, windy spring and summer, wildfire conditions remain a major threat to the Palo Pinto Area.
With this in mind, we ask that you join us in sponsoring this year’s Buckets and Boots Concert to be held at the Rocker B Ranch in Graford on July 13th, 2013. Featured artists include: The Turnpike Troubadors, Casey Donahew Band, Tracy Lawrence and other surprise appearances (including one of Texas Music’s biggest stars!!) Thank you in advance for your support!
By the Numbers
- $500,000+ donated to benefit Palo Pinto County volunteer fire departments
- Proceeds awarded directly to local departments through grants
- $130,000 Emergency Relief Fund created to proactively arm local departments
- Over 4,000 people attended the inaugural B&B concert in 2011
- Saturday, July 13, 2013 a benefit concert will be held at Rocker B Ranch in Graford, Texas – A local venue in close proximity to this devastating fire.
- The purpose for the event:
- Celebrate those who are putting their lives on the line to fight this disaster
- Rebuild the local communities hardest hit
- Raise funding to boost the local economy and offset the tax revenue lost
- Provide funding for local Fire Departments to purchase new/modern equipment
- To help alleviate the financial strain of the local Fire Departments
- Our fundraising will be specific for Palo Pinto County and will directly go to rebuild the communities in this county.
- We will have a 501c3 established as a means to both collect and distribute funding